got up, worked out and ate too much for breakfast, but dang it was good. Today we docked at Isla Roatan, Honduras. The port was misleading, when you first get off there were tons of shops and buildings that were colorful and new among the jungle. Then we had to walk passed all that, up a hill and through a security gate to meet our tour guide and I noticed a concrete building with windows but no glass and people looking out the windows. I asked our tour guide what the building was for because I was unclear about what these people would be doing hanging out in a vacant looking building. His response, "it's a house, they live there." And I couldn't help but ask when we saw the next building, "and that is also a house?", sure enough. The more we drove, the houses did get better but I was shocked at the conditions these people lived in. It was the four of us in the van and according to Ryan, Jess and Ryan, I ask too many questions, I was curious about their culture and way of life and if their were mormon missionaries on the island.
Our activity for the day was "zip and dip". We were going ziplining over the jungle, sounded cool until it came time to suit up and climb the stairs to the first platform. I've lost my sense of adventure, four kids waiting at home will do that to you. After getting the hang of it, it was so cool, so fun. This was my favorite excursion by far. Our guide was awesome. He had to stop us, even the guys. When we would reach the platform, he would reach out and catch our ropes and brings us to a stop and then get us up on the platform. Our tip wasn't nearly enough but we did what we could. The zip line company also had monkeys that you could hold? play with? not sure what to call it. We were in their cage forever, it was so funny and all I kept saying was "the kids would LOVE this".
We then headed to the beach but first decided to stop for lunch to eat Honduran food. We ate at a seaside reasturant and had conch soup and fish tacos. big servings and yummy food. We then went to a free beach that was descent. Okay, I'm picky when it comes to beaches, I actually find beaches without waves boring. I grew up going to the beach all summer and I love being in the waves, when there are no waves, it's like being in a lake. To me ocean equals waves. I did take a dip because I was sweaty and althought there were no waves, I still love the saltiness of the salt water.
what? I'm not nervous......
taking the first jump, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........
our tour guide
Just to show how amazing he was, Ryan (our friend) got stuck and he came down and PULLED him up the zip line. It was hilarious, we were dyeing of laughter!! He stopped and started to pull himself up the line then our tour guide came down and wrapped his legs around Ryan and pulled him up while Ryan just dangled there nice and relaxed and notice his feet are practically touching the ground! Sometimes I think of this and it makes me crack up up randomly to myself, such a highlight of the trip.
Then on one of the lines, he wanted me to go with him, not sure why, but let's be honest we all know why someone would want me hooked to them wile zooming across the jungle. Well we didn't quite make it to the platform and I was left to just hang there while he grabbed the line and pulled us up to the platform. I felt REALLY light and like a little skinny 105 pound mother of 4. yeah right!
here he is enjoying the ride.
then the monkey's
Jessica tried giving the monkey a small piece of her apple and it ended up stealing the whole thing from her bag. She wasn't about to get it back, it would probably bite her and we've all seen the movie "Outbreak".
It was cute when the first monkey curled up on my lap and rested but when the second one climbed on my arm, all i could think was "oh sick, his butt hole is on my arm. bleh!"
they loved her bag.
we bought the kids some gifts at the little shop and then picked a coconut up off the ground, another free souvenir that they will think is so cool.
cooling off in the lake, I mean the ocean. Seriously though, who complains about that? Such a beach diva.
At dinner we were talking to our maitre 'd because he is from Honduras and asking him questions about his country and what not and we got on the subject of food and he told us about ceviche. It is raw fish, shrimp, squid, marinated in seasonings and lemon juice and the juice apparently "cooks" the fish. Then he came out with a plate of it for us to try! It was good. Just an example of how amazing the staff is on the ship.
Friday favorites!
14 hours ago

3 comments:
Ha ha ha. Ryan C. would be the one to get stuck. that seriously has me chuckling to myself. And the
monkeys ... so cool. Although it is kind of gross that his butthole is on your arm. haha. :) Glad to see that someone from the trip is blogging about it. Thanks for the updates. I obviously don't get them from my sista. sheesh! lol.
Am I allowed to comment on each post??? Ha ha. This zip line looks so fun! It's funny how the guide had to pull Ryan and you. I bet Ryan liked that guy wrapped all around him. Ha ha ha. The monkeys would be so much fun too.
You are cracking me up!! When are we going to go on a vacation together??
Post a Comment