Sunday, March 21, 2010

the G to the arden


This year I'm going to give square foot gardening a try. I think. I just can't decide and I'll tell you why. The fact that I would have to make a purchase that could possibly cost $50!!! I'm telling you, the guilt. I know, I know, so many benefits come from gardening that make up for the up front cost. Last year, my garden went well, I just felt like it was so spread out and I like the benefits of square foot gardening and the low maintenance and the look of a bushy, full garden. Right now my plan is 2 5 x 5 boxes and a 4 by 8 or 10 chicken coop. The wheels are turning and I'm trying to get real creative about building a coop. They are expensive! We have scrap wood and my friend said her husband could help so after talking to him, I'm sure I'll be more comfortable with the idea of building something with like wood and tools and stuff. ooooh, I just love gardening. I made pesto for St. Patricks day and couldn't wait to grab basil from my backyard during the summer. This year I'm planting heirloom and hybrid seeds. No reason, it just worked out that way.

My friend documents/journals her garden progress on her blog to look back on from the previous year, I like that idea. So these are just a few thoughts and a filler since there isn't much to blog about.

4 comments:

corine said...

hey I have a bunch of seeds her from last year if you want some

Jessica said...

We are thinking of square foot gardening this year too. It seems like a lot of work upfront but I think it would be so worth it. Too bad we don't live near you because Kevin would LOVE to build the boxes and chicken coop.

-Sydney- said...

What part is the $50? The wood for making the beds? You should also look up "lasagna gardening"-I combine it with SFG to get even better results (and you don't have to use Mel's mix).

courtneyb said...

jessica, don't tease me like that!!!!

The $50 would include the wood and soil, but that was a possible cost. My mom actually brought wood to my house and I spent $8 on soil today and after reading about Lasagna gardening, I don't have to buy any more soil. so cool, thanks for that!