I decided to run the Wasatch Back Ragnar race again this year and don't expect to see me doing it again next year. I got about 3.5 hours of sleep the night before because our teams start time was 5 am and then at night in the middle of the race I got somewhere between 2 or 3 hours I think. Lying in a sleeping bag on the grass has never been more comfortable after sitting in a car all day and feeling sleep deprived. But at the same time I also loved it and want to do it again. I had some great runs. I was runner #6 and my first run was at about 11 am. It was 6.9 miles down Avon Pass, which is a dirt road with cars kicking up dirt, steep descending switch backs but I loved it. I felt like I was about to puke at the end but I couldn't slow down. We rested at Snowbasin ski resort while the other van ran their legs. My second leg was just as the sunlight was fading so about 9:30 pm up east canyon. This was by far my favorite run, it was amazing. It was 8.1 miles up the canyon but because of the darkness I couldn't see much of the road ahead so I had no hills or steep incline to dread, I just ran. The stars were clear, the moon was full and it smelt so fresh. A mountain lion could have dragged me into the bushes and no one would've known. I would love to go on long night runs more often but it just isn't safe for a little ole' lady like me. But the bummer about this leg is that there was tons of traffic at the exchange and I couldn't find the car so I started to get really cold. We then attempted to sleep and were awoken before the sun to start running again. My last leg was my least favorite. It was only 3.1 miles flat, easy terrain and I think the flat terrain through the neighborhoods of Heber city is what made it so painful. Our car was done after I finished but we still had to wait for the other van to do their legs before we crossed the finish line. We went to Dairy Keen for lunch and it was so good! One great thing about this year is I had some good friends in my car so we had a good time hanging out for 36 hours straight talking and joking. And a team we enjoyed was "Sofa King Amazing runners". Last year I totally crashed from exhaustion when I got home but this year wasn't as bad. I had to make Ryan's cinnamon rolls for Father's Day so i kept busy.
We drove the Suburban because we failed to find a van. It served us well.

1 comments:
I can't believe you threw away your medal! It was fun....now that I have had a good week to catch up on the sleep. :)
Post a Comment