Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving (2 days late)

Ryan and the kids had school on Thursday, so we celebrated Thanksgiving on Saturday. (FYI, Italians don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Yes, I've been asked by some Americans if they do.) I got the Turkey on~ Friday from the butcher and had to finish plucking the feathers, kinda gross. And that night I stayed up making pies and cinnamon rolls. But like I said before, I love making things from scratch, so this was fun for me.Then Saturday morning we continued our little family tradition of running the Turkey Trot.

My kids were the only participants this year and it didn't quite go as I thought it would. Which means none of my friends showed up that were going to run with me. But it's all good, the kids had fun. Then we came home and Ryan and I just kinda stared at the turkey waiting for it to speak to us and give us instructions on how to cook it. This was my first time cooking Thanksgiving dinner. We finally seasoned it, lubed it up and popped it in. Much easier than I thought it would be.
At about 4 our company started to arrive and it felt like the holidays. A full house, people chatting and the woman making last minute preparations on their dishes :) When we all sat down, I was so happy that everyone was there. It was great company, the food was delicious and my wonderful Italian neighbors came over for their first Thanksgiving feast. I made everyone sign the Thanksgiving tablecloth, we filled our bellies and hung out and chatted. Now I'm excited for Christmas, to have another big get together with our "Florence family".
Justin, Tiffany, Costanza, Jordan, Hillary, Emily, Crystal, Loridonna, Francesco, and Tiffany

Our company consisted of mostly students and their families from Ryans school

The kids sat at the Indian table because we ran out of seats

Nikki and Israel

9 comments:

weller14 said...

what fun court.....loved the turkey trot pics:)

Anonymous said...

wow! first thanksgiving dinner and with a great success. Proud of you. Love the turkey trot pictures, who won?
Love you all
Mother

Anonymous said...

how fun. what did the italians think of thanksgiving dinner??? looks like you did a good job on the dinner,

Holly said...

are the kids sitting at the indian table because they are sitting indian style? also, did you know that it's not so p.c. to say "indian style" anymore? they say something lame like "criss cross apple sauce."

courtneyb said...

Holly- I was showing my sister the blog and as I reread that part I said "wow, talk about segregation, the indians are at a different table AND they are sitting on the ground". We are a very UN p.c. family. I guess I should have referred to them as native americans, I hope I didn't offend Becky!

Holly said...

we're not too p.c. here either. in dave's post about the corn maze he said midget instead of little people. oops. i hope katrina wasn't offended. ooh, burn!

Lindsey said...

What a fun thanksgiving! I would have run with you, you know that right? Great job on the turkey... I haven't attempted that one yet... My mother in law did show me how to do it though. Does that count?

-Sydney- said...

Sounds like you guys had so much fun! Did you make the stuffing? How did it turn out?

The Leper said...

I have to admit, I looked at tickets right before thanksgiving. Kristal was out of town and I was thinking of coming out. A cool grand, however was a bit steep. Maybe next time around.