Back in December I decided that I wanted to run a half marathon before I turned 30, so I found one that was near by and signed up. Seven weeks ago, I realzed the half marathon was lurking on the horizon and I needed to start training. I went for my first long run which was 6 miles and I was regretting that I had set such a silly goal and wanted to pull out. I stuck to it and of course, it became easier. About a week before the race I read the book "Born to Run", perfect timing, such an inspiring book. I dare say life changing. It totally changed my mind set about this race and I was ready and excited for the experience.
I got to the race at 6 am to catch a bus up the canyon to the start line. It was so gorgeous up in the mountains and the weather was perfect. The race started and I was cruising along, enjoying the scenery and my ipod tunes. By mile 6 I should've stopped for water but kept running and about a half mile later, I was feeling the need for some hydration. It wasn't until mile 8 that I was able to get gatorade and I made sure I grabbed a cup of water at every station after that. The only thing I didn't like about the race was the 2 steeper down hills. One was during mile 12 and my legs were too tired to open my stride, I didn't have it in me to be catching myself, flat terrain was desirable. When I passed the "mile 12" sign I did a fist pump in the air, I was so happy to see that sign and I still felt strong.
there I am, do you see me coming down the lane? So happy to have accomplished a goal and let's be honest, to be finished!
While training, I trained for distance and to condition my body to finish the race and not worry about time. Who was I kidding, I'm way too competitive to not worry about time so I was disappointed when i saw the clock at the finish line and it read 2:19:15. Bummer, that was slow! As soon as I stopped running, I realized how tired I was and sat in the shade for about 15 minutes.
The run was very pleasant and I really enjoyed it. Running is one of my passions and it makes me happy.
I knew if I didn't sign up in December when I found the race (and had the money for it) I may put off and end up not doing it. Signing up so early made me bib #1! It attracted a lot of attention, kind of embarrassing.
Friday favorites!
14 hours ago

6 comments:
WAY TO GO!!!
I want to take swim lessons in the winter and sign up for a sprint triathlon next year...lets do it together!
Ha ha, I love that you were #1! Once again, great job!
I'm impressed! Congrats on finishing your first 1/2 marathon. When's your first marathon? :)
I try to think of you as an inspiration but in reality you're just making me feel bad about myself :) I need more motivation!
Great job!
Me again...I just read the comment you left on my blog. We were at a family reunion in Orem. I WILL call you the next time I venture down to Happy Valley.
This is so awesome Court!! I am so proud of you. I'm always telling my ladies friends out here all the stuff you do. I wish I could get into this stuff. I'm just not motivated...at all. I don't know how you do all these races and stuff.
That's awesome you won that awesome hotel room and race in Park City! I love the outlets!
Post a Comment