Sunday, July 18, 2010

my garden makes me happy

garden notes for my sake



My sweat pea flowers finally started to bloom, I thought they would bloom more in June. They smell so good, they are my favorite flower and I wanted them in my wedding bouquet but they weren't in season. I would love to have these blooming under all my windows so I could smell them when I opened my windows.

I call this stage my teenager garden. They aren't little spouts anymore and they are starting to bloom and grow fruit.

My corn and broccoli are growing despite the odds. I learned the hard way that my chickens love corn, broccoli leaves and brussel sprout leaves. But there is now some wheat at the top of the corn (this is the third time it has had to grow back. I finally got the point across to my kids that the chickens are NOT allowed in the garden) and my broccoli is growing a very microscopic floret despite it's hardship with half leaves.


the culprits, but they do keep the bugs out except for the beetles I found on my cantaloupe today. I fed a few to the chickens as I plucked them from the plant and they would peck at the bug then wipe their beak on the ground, the bug must have some sort of defense mechanism?

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Looking good Courtney! Some day I want to try more stuff in my garden and when I do I am going to call you.

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!