Sunday, December 19, 2010

service

I was talking to my cousin a few weeks ago and she gave me a great idea, her father in law gave each of the kids 5 envelopes with $100 in each envelope and then they needed to prayerfully find someone to give it to. So they went to Wal-Mart and some other places and found people they felt were in need of a little help and gave them the envelope saying "some guy over there told me to give this to you" and then walked away and watched their reaction. I thought that sounded so fun.

Recently I read on my friends blog about a similar idea, just not as expensive.
And then while watching CNN (gasp, I am a Utah mormon and get my news from something besides fox news!) I saw a story about a secret Santa that walked around handing out cards with $100 bills to people who he thought could use it this time of year.
So that is when I decided I just needed to do it. A painting recently sold this month, Christmas is paid for and all the bills have been paid so I can afford to give to a few people. But doesn't that sound like a fun way to do it? My kids would love it and it could be a great way to give them that feeling of service. I'll report back on how it goes and I was also wondering if you wanted to join in on the fun?

3 comments:

Kristy said...

That is a great idea! I was just reading about another Utahan who is giving away money to people who write him through the paper. I'm so glad that there are so many giving people in this world.

Stacy said...

This is a great idea. I should do this next year with the kids. I bet they would have so much fun with it.

Poor Abbey getting burned. Hopefully she is doing better. I love all your posts. I got too far behind with checking blogs. It was good to see you guys Christmas.

-Sydney- said...

So, did you do it?