Well I found some inspiration for the girls room re-do. I have always loved turquoise jewelry and actually don't own any, that's how much I apparently love it. I like that the style seems to be bold light blue and turquoise for decor but I'm not daring enough to give it a try. I thought I wanted to do pink and red in the girls room until I saw an image of this online 
I was reminded that I have always loved light blues with red and pink. My friend gave Charlotte a baby blanket that was light blue with pink cherry blossoms and it is one of my favs. While flipping through Better Homes and Gardens (because the lady that used to live here hasn't put in a forwarding address at the post office, so annoying, but I got to look through her magazine) I saw a page with a wall painted "ocean breeze" by Benjamin Moore (pg 39 if you have the mag).
This website made it look pretty green, but I promise it's a blue :)
Now, this is where you come in. Here is their room now.
No furniture will be painted, fyi.
do you think solid colored comforters? design? wall decor? I know I have talented friends that can do this better than me. and window coverings for sure, plain windows in a painted room don't work for me. I guess the proper word is textiles, I learned that from ikea. Or should I not paint the wall blue, paint it a white or neutral color and incorporate ocean breeze, red and pink with the decor?
Now I need help with another spot in the house, the shoes. It isn't working where it's at and I could use some help.
this is walking in from the garage, the way we always come in the house
this is the area inside the garage door
and then you go up these stairs. The rugs are there to prevent stuff being tract in because shoes are still on.
and turn left to this
I know we could go without some of these shoes in the basket, but that isn't the point, this is blocking a hallway. It needs to be moved but I don't know if I want the basket.
I wish I could convince Ryan to build me something like this but smaller of course
thanks friends, I knew I could count on you :)
Friday favorites!
14 hours ago

9 comments:
I was going to suggest something similar for the entryway. Target has a few. http://www.target.com/Benches-Storage-Organization-Home/b/16297281/ref=sc_fe_l_5_3665671_39?node=16297281
You could check on KSL for something cheaper.
Can I even tell you how long I have wanted a bench like that? Um, since we were living in Springville which was some 3+ yrs ago! I asked Brian to make me one for Christmas this year...maybe next year :) Anywho, what we have by our backdoor that works well and is super duper cheap (until you can find what you really want) is just shoe shelving units stacked on each other. Then everyone has their own shelf for their shoes, and there is room to kick under the shoes that you are kicking off from that day. I'll admit, most days I have to remind the girls (and Brian) that there shoes go ON the shelf not in front of it...but it keeps them up and out of the way. Now that I have rambled on and on I will quickly give you my opinion on the girls room: I love colored walls. If you are nervous about painting the whole thing blue try some white paneling with it. Good luck!
I also like this look.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.centsationalgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/panelandpictureframewainscoting2copy.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2010/12/twelve-months-of-favorites/&usg=__qhN7C3KXHel6Gg6Qt6c45nhMRR4=&h=355&w=640&sz=16&hl=en&start=116&sig2=jEyNWfUJtQVgky1F7U1Qtw&zoom=1&tbnid=Uz2yBxw-j3xzeM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=186&ei=WAE6TdHpNYSasAOk67WhAw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dturquoise%2Bkid%2Broom%2Bwith%2Bwainscoting%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_en___US350%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D628%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C3287&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=359&vpy=234&dur=2491&hovh=167&hovw=302&tx=221&ty=123&oei=OwE6TZf2OoSksQOp_tyOAw&esq=7&page=7&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:116&biw=1259&bih=628
for the girls room. With moulding or wainscoting. I would go with a neutral for the bedspreads since they'll probably have them for a long time and switch it up with fun colorful pillows and rugs.
What about a shoe cubby inside the entryway from the garage? It looks like there is room there on that left wall (facing the door) but maybe I'm missing a closet or something.
Love the bench idea where the basket currently is. See http://ana-white.com/2009/11/plans-for-entry-storage-benchshelf_2314.html for simple plans on building it yourself! Chris probably has tools, right?
Oh, and I love that light blue! I could see the beds and window coverings with something in the red-pink-blue combo with big modern flower print or even something like this:
http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/ecom-prodshow/GISGHEFLSURF.html
I think that would be totally cute. It looks like it is a big enough room that it needs color on the walls to help it feel cozy. White would probably make it seem cavernous unless you had a lot of decoration going on.
Of course its always difficult to really get perspective in photos.
Syd, after I posted it I realized I should've mentioned that across from the garage door is the stairs to the basement. But we don't really use the basement.
I LOVE the blue. I am not that great at decorating, so take my opinion for what it is worth. If you want window treatments/textiles I think you could go with a print and then keep the bedding solid with print accents. Or, you could find really cute printed bedding and do something simple/neutral with the window treatments.
I love the new house! I need to get some pictures of ours posted. I also love the colors for the kids room. I would paint the walls a color and get a decorative bed spread.
For the shoes, there are great show racks at Lowes. They have cubbies and racks. We are thinking of getting one for our house too because there is no space for shoes. They are pretty resonably priced there.
I'm a fan of the more neutral a room, the better. By that I mean that I don't know if you should do something for the girls' bedrooms that you have to commit to for a long time. I love the wall color u picked and paint is so easy and relatively inexpensive to change. Bedding is where it gets scary, because what you like now you might hate in a year. I would suggest a white comforter with white duvet from ikea or tj maxx and then colored decorative pillows and throws to add the color. If u find fabric u like, then u can make the pillows yourself, or u can always find cute ones at tj maxx. I have seen a lot of the trendy ones that look like flowers or have ruffles, etc. They have tons of colors to choose from. U can jazz up white sheets with trim if you feel like, like red or pink pom pom trim around the pillows and on the top sheet, or add ribbons or ruffles, or anything you like. Same goes with window treatments, something neutral that you can alter a little bit to suit your needs. White ikea curtains with trim, or hung up in a different way, kind of like the way Kristy hung up curtains in Reanne and Sierra's room. You could change out the blinds for the cheap woven ones from home depot to give it more of a cottage feel. I'll stop rambling now, but I have more ideas if you want them.
Post a Comment