Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Christmas Break is over

Sunday, to the rest of Europe was "Epiphany", which is the day they celebrate for the 3 wise men arriving at the stable to see baby Jesus. But the Italians have added a
different twist, it is also the holiday, Befana. A witch brings a stocking for all the children full of candy and what not. The legend goes that the Three Kings on their way to visit the Baby Jesus in Bethlehem called at La Befana's hut for hospitality. They asked if she wanted to join them, but she said she would rather not go because she was too busy. Later she changed her mind, so she hastily gathered a few gifts and tried following the Wise Men, but could not catch up with them, nor could she find the Christ Child. Ever since, each Twelfth Night she travels from house to house leaving presents for the children, just in case one of them is Baby Jesus. So I thought, "oh, cute. But not going to celebrate it for no particular reason, just why bother?" Sunday we come home from church and find 3 stockings and a small witch hanging on our door knob! The kids were thrilled and I said a quick prayer in my head that went something like this: "Thank you so much for blessing us with the such thoughtful neighbors." Yes, the neighbors that I have spoken of in previous posts, left 3 FULL stockings for my kids on Befana!

Abbs with the discovery


Please just sit together and look at mom so I can see your stockings.


She likes the witch.


Monday the kids went back to school which meant I had to turn my alarm back on. We had a great break and now the questions have started again "When do we get to stop going to Italian school?" "In Utah will the suora's (nun) and teachers speak English?" "Can I stay home with you?" "How come Abbey doesn't have to go to school?" It's nice to feel back on a set schedule again and to have a clean house for 3/4 of the day.
And the biggest highlight of my week so far, Monday was the beginning of the big sales!! Tomorrow I'm going to go scope some things out namely some knee high suede boots, a new wool coat, sassy nylons and maybe if I have time I'll hit the kids stores as well. And then begins the bartering with Ryan. Those are just the items on my "needs" list ;)


Ryan and I discovered a new television series, thanks to the Isaac Wait family, that I highly recommend you get addicted to. "Battlestar Galactica". I thought "are you kidding me, Battlestar galactica? (said in a voice like "whaaaaat?")" But I was totally wrong and cannot wait for season 4!
So far 2008 has been a good year and will continue to be as long as I can keep my craving for Target in the way back of my mind for 6 more months or so!

4 comments:

weller14 said...

i got stuck in syracusa (sicily) on epiphany...everything was shuit down....not a fun day, hahaha. how cute your neuighbors were so thoughtful! i am sure your kids were so excited to see more presents! target..oh my fav place..i swear i spend $100 there everytime, even if i am just going to get shampoo. enjoy the sales and your cute boots (i want pics)

Katrina said...

Every time you mention coming home I get a little smile on my face. Utah needs you!

corine said...

what great neighbors. oh i heard a little rumor that target is coming to spanish fork- now you def. have to come home
:)

Brooke said...

the craving for target is alive and well!

but i have to admit, i'd rather be shopping for knee-high boots and a fab coat in florence.