Sunday, September 28, 2008

time to return to the green side

The other day while unloading my groceries, I realized how big of a waste the plastic bags are. Which then reminded me of our time in Italy because we always used reusable bags/a cart at the grocery store. The 18 months that we lived there, is the greenest I've been in my life.
- we didn't have a car so we either walked, biked or used public transportation. We should have gotten a tax break for that!
- reusable bags or I sported my old woman cart for the grocery store.
- recycled. because we lived in an apartment, our trash was a communal dumpster. BUT there were 4 different dumpsters.
1. trash
2. glass and plastic
3. kitchen trash (food) they don't have garbage disposals
4. cardboard

I can't quit cold turkey with the car, being pregnant and all but I decided for now on, it's reusable bags. It's lazy NOT to do that. Yeah, I just called you lazy. And I wish recycling was more accessible here. It makes me sick to put soda and milk bottles in the trash. I noticed our dumpster has a bin for newspaper, but I don't get the newspaper so it doesn't do me much good. But there is something we can all do to live a little greener and it's much easier to switch than you realize. Any more suggestions to help me go from a whitie to a greenie?

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Good for you! Seattle is a really green area...literally... AND as far as the environment too! :) I LOVE my reusable bags, they are so easy because you can sling them over your shoulder! At some of our stores here, you even get a discount of 10 cents per bag that you bring and fill instead of plastic. We recycle... Logan even knows how to say that and put things in there! Another thing I really love is the florescent light bulbs. They are a bit more expensive upfront, but they save so much energy and cut the cost of your electric bill. I also carry a SIGG bottle instead of buying any plastic water bottles, it saves money since I don't have to buy water bottles, and it's much better than plastic going into landfills. I could go on and on...but those are my favorite tips! I still can't give up some things, like my car...but Kevin at least takes the free bus to work everyday.

-Sydney- said...

I was going to suggest the reusable water bottles. That reduces a lot of plastic waste!

I bought reusable bags from the Carrefour store here (they make them, promote them, sell them, and have their log on them) but EVERY time I go in, I have to remind the bag boy to use MY bags and not start throwing things into the plastic bags. They're such a waste and it's ways easier to carry a few reusable bags than a dozen plastic bags when you are unloading groceries.

You could also start a recyling pile for all used paper--cardboard cereal boxes, etc and put that in the newspaper recycling bin. I'm sure it all goes to the same place.

Katrina said...

Seriously, what's the deal with the lack of recycling availability around here? It's lame.

Tiffany Anderson said...

In our neighborhood they recently supplied us with recycle cans. We fill it up almost just as much as the trash can. It's crazy to think of how much we just throw away that can be recycled. You could always request a can.
Good job!!

Katie Gourdin said...

Cort,
Long time no talk. welcome back :) We miss you guys so much. We live in Arizona and we just started the recycle business. I love it. Well I will emil you. Love you guys tons and I miss Ryan's taco's.... Katie

-Sydney- said...

Why didn't I say this before? Cloth diapers! It's not as bad as it sounds, I have a friend that does it and it's really great.

courtneyb said...

Sydney, I did think of that the other day. I don't think RYan would go along with that idea. Not that it matters because let's be honest, I'll be changing them most of the time.
Thanks for the cardboard idea, it is also saving more room in my trash can at home w/o the bulky cereal boxes.