Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thanksgiving

We hosted Thanksgiving at our house this year and I was so excited.  I love to cook.  I love to cook with real food (not processed and boxed).  And I love cooking good food.  My mom, step dad, sisters, niece, step sister and our friend Brock came over for Turkey day. 
 I have to say, the gravy was amazing, it simmered on the stove all day with the gizzards and neck in the broth, adding tons of flavor.  I have now ruined Ryan when it comes to gravy, he will expect that every time.  I tried something new with the turkey.  The night before I put half an onion and half of a fennel bulb and some garlic cloves in the cavity.  Before cooking it, I rubbed it with butter, s&p and then (this is new) covered it with a cheese cloth that was drenched in a buttery broth (and bacon of course).  The cheese cloth kept it moist so I didn't have to keep opening the oven to baste the turkey and letting the heat out.    The stuffing made Ryan nervous because I made it from bread that I cubed and left on the counter to dry out for the week.  Why does he doubt me?  Of course it was so good.  
Cloe and the girls took care of the place settings.  I thought it was cute that they pulled Fall "weeds" from the field behind our house to decorate the plates.  
The food table.  We need a bigger table and serving ware.  
the best part of the party is about to start.


this picture makes me laugh because it is a great picture of the family BUT we forgot to take notice of the treadmill and light in the background. oops. oh and all the adds on the table. 
Cloe and Charlie working on place settings. 
my turkey wrapped up and warm in cheese cloth.

0 comments: