Ryan's mom came last Monday and her timing could not have been any more perfect. At 12 weeks is when you can apply for your "health card". I quote it because it's obviously called something in Italian but the direct translation wouldn't make sense. Anyways. The whole time we've been here, nothing has made me more homesick than having to figure out their medical system. There is so much of first go here and take a number, wait, get this signature then go over there, take a number, wait. Come back in 3 days for your results. You can't get this test without the signature from this other doctor. But at the same time, all of this is free! For my first Dr. appointment, I went to a private doctor because she spoke English. It is very different than what I'm used to in the states. Usually, the nurse assistant comes in, gets your medical history and what not. This was like "so, what am i seeing you for today?"
"I'm pregnant"
"okay."
uh, okay. do you have maybe a form you go by or do I need to make this appointment run?
For the first part of the appointment she was telling me about how I should get an amniocentesis to find out if the baby has downsyndrome. And then she went on to show me all these charts about what my risk was of having a baby with downsyndrome. I finally said "it doesn't matter to me if the baby has it or not, I'm keeping the baby regardless."
Then she did a little ultrasound and when she saw my tummy she gave out a "whoa!" to my stretchmarks. "thanks doc". then again when she had me get on the scale, "whoa!" I found it quite funny but of course Ryan now has to hear about how too big my tummy is. Then she wrote up the bill for 100 euros!
Ryan's mom left yesterday, the 23rd and I don't know what I'm going to do without my afternoon naps! She spoiled me and I didn't have to do much around the house. It was a lovely vacation. How do grandma's do it? She played with the kids for hours, my limit is about 2 and then it's time for a movie :) But sweet little Cloe is incredibly sad and all she wants to do is go home. She cried herself to sleep because she misses Grandma. 7 more weeks! I should also add that after reading my blog about my mexican food craving, she brought us refried beans, corn tortilla's, cheddar cheese, velveeta and stuff to make cheese ball. Among other things but those are the most note worthy.
Friday favorites!
14 hours ago

16 comments:
Whoah! So I assume you'll be seeing someone else for future appointments?
i just read your blog to my mom. we were laughing about the doctor visit. 100 euro? ahhh. thats not cool. awesome that ryan's mom got to come out again. 7 more weeks...wow...time is flying. i hope u can come to fl for michelle's wedding. remember...u can stay at my cousin's with me so the cost will be pretty cheap.
Oh my goodness... and I thought my doctor lecturing me about eating healthy to prevent diabetes and big babies made me feel bad (Uhhh, have you ever heard SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE BIG BABIES????). Seriously, I am glad I didn't have your doctor. You may be comforted to know that Italy has one of the lowest maternal and infant death rates in the WORLD - much better than the US I might add (I read that yesterday in Birth - by Tina Cassidy). I can't believe she actually said "Whoa", I would have poked her eyes out.
How frustrating! I am very excited you are coming home in June. I saw your mom and Corine on Sunday. Everyone was asking about you and your family. Hang in there for the next seven weeks (not that anyone is counting). Good luck with the health care system.
I'm sorry you have to deal with all of that. At least you won't have to deliver the baby here.
So...do we get to see a picture of your cute baby bulge?
Ha ha...reminds me of when I got my legs waxed by a tiny Vietnamese lady. She smacked me on the thigh and said, "Oh you white girls are so big and hairy!"
Um.....thanks....I feel pretty.
Congrats on the baby news and I am glad you are coming home before I leave. That way you can attend my going away party I am throwing for myself.
teressa- no because all it is is a bulge and no baby. if it were a cute baby tummy? yes.
and no, I will not be seeing her again. I'm using the free public doctors for no on but they are still Italian so that means they will not like my weight either.
Liz- let's be honest, the weight is me not the baby.
So did you get a photo? Why on earth would you have an amnio at your age anyway? Sounds like a great way to make more money to me!
They didn't suggest one in the UK with Alexander and I was 32! I was over 35 before I had it suggested! But we said no too!
Aw, sorry about your appointment. That's fun you got an ultrasound though. Mine's next week and i'm so excited! Hope you're still doing well!
Mrs Brecheisen--your comment made me think of when I was having a wax job from a Filipina and she kept saying "oooh, so white! Very nice!" It was meant to be complimentary but . . .
Anybody required to look at your body should just keep their mouths shut and do their job.
You're all cracking me up!
I'm glad to see that you still have your sence of humor!! Are you just visiting in 7 weeks and how long are you going to be here?
jenn- we are coming home for good!!!
Glad you're coming home for good. We love you and counting the weeks.
love Mother
Love you all,
Looking forward having you all home.
Love grandma Allen
Post a Comment