My step Dad has told me that I need to take my mom to see some Etruscan ruins in Tuscany. I searched the Internet for local cities but wasn't huge on the idea of taking the kids somewhere. Then I read that the little city of Fiesole (I think it is part of florence?) had some. It is just north of Florence on one of the surrounding hills. Supposedly, Da Vinci tested his flyer off the hills of Fiesole. I wanted to take my mom here because it has an AMAZING view of Florence. Piazza Michelangelo is nothing compared to Fiesole's view! It was about a 30 minute city bus ride and it was SO nice to be up there. So quiet, the weather was cooler and not a busy city at all! We went to the Romans/Etruscan ruins. Pretty interesting and not patrolled at all. Therefore, we climbed all over them. Was it allowed? Not sure but cool to think about how old all this stuff is and to my kids it was an on going field of rock climbing. I kept telling them, "all this stuff is older than Jesus." And Brody kept asking "where are the Romans? Is he a Roman?" me "no they died." Brody "why?" me "they had a war and fought and were conquered" and then endless questions of the fighting began. Why do I bother? I should have just said "yes, he is a Roman" but then he probably would have asked why "he" killed Jesus.
After the ruins, we got gelato, of course, and then took the longest walk of my life to a park. It was uphill, steep and long. The view was amazing and I promised the kids if they were good I would take them to the "big" park. They loved it. If you come to Florence, you gotta see Fiesole.
sitting in the Roman theatre. brody is just too cool.
roman/etruscan temple ruins (FYI the etruscans were here first and of course the Romans conquered them)
photo in front of tuscan view to the north (florence is south of us)
Roman baths
view from the park
Friday favorites!
14 hours ago

4 comments:
my mom has been to fiesole..she loves it there. great pics court!!!!
that is an amazing view! i am so jealous of you!
BEAUTIFUL VIEW!!!
How amazing to get to spend all that time with your Mom! It will be hard to see her go, but you have done so many great things!
Post a Comment