Thursday, May 22, 2008

attention seasoned child bearers-the natural way

I'm looking for some advice/pointers. With this pregnancy I've decided to go "natural", meaning no drugs. The whole idea started because when we get home, we have no insurance so I'm trying to keep the cost down. If you know what I mean. And the epidural was the first to go. But now I've embraced the idea and am looking forward to the experience. For those of you in UT, do you have a Dr. or midwife you recommend? I'm not brave enough to deliver at home, though the thought has crossed my mind, so I will need someone who can deliver in a hospital. And for just the general audience, do you have a birthing method that worked for you to kind of ease the pain. If that's possible. I am actually really excited about this. I've been reading up and it's such an amazing experience. I've been called crazy because on my 4th child I'm dumb enough to go natural. But sticks and stones..... And, do you still have to have the I.V's if your not getting an epidural? I hate those things. My labors go pretty quick, so I figure I'm only in for about 4 hours of serious pain. Big deal, tomorrow's a new day and I'll have a sweet smelling newborn to make me forget all about the bad stuff.

11 comments:

weller14 said...

u crazy lady u. i dont have too much advice, since i dont have any kids. but...my cousin did a water birth....natural...and said it was amazing. the water helped to take away the cramping and pressure.

Jessica said...

I have no advice since I had an epidural both times, but I just wanted to say...you are BRAVE! Hope you don't mind that I added you to our friends and family list.

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

I can totally understand the money saving issue. Although I am not preggers yet, I have looked into all of my options since I have a $5000 deductible with my insurance. Before you totally rule out the epidural, call around to the local hospitals and see if they have a flat rate for the hospital stay. I will deliver at Davis Hospital and for a two night stay it is $3000,which includes the delivery, epidural and being induced (you pay the doctor or midwife separately). You get the flat rate because you pay the day you leave the hospital. My last epidural did not work with Sam and the pain was intense (it did work after I gave birth...I couldn't feel my legs for about six hours). I was induced, so I think the pitocin made the pain worse. So if you go natural, don't get induced and prepare yourself for the worst pain you have ever felt. I felt like I was going to explode and die. I can totally understand why people do the natural thing because I don't think you have to have the IV and you can walk around, eat, get in the bath tub, etc. After you deliver you don't have to wait for the epidural to wear off either. So there are many pros and cons on each side. I myself am going to go with an epidural in hopes that it will work the next time around. However, I know a lot of women that swear by going natural. Good Luck! BTW...I had a midwife with Sam and she was awesome!

Holly said...

if you are prepared for a natural birth then you know how to cope with the pain. it's not the worst thing, your body was made for this, so you just trust it and go with it. especially if you have had three relatively easy and short labors, you can totally do it. hypnobirthing is what i used, you can take classes and then you practice on your own (learning how to relax, not hypnotize yourself).

i feel like i'm repeating everything i said in my email. did you get that, by the way?

Teresa said...

I think that is great that you are going to try "something new". I think as long as you have read up on how to cope with the pain, you should do fine. My epideral got a kink in it with Sabrina, and so it wore off for about 30 minutes. OUCH! I was in so much pain, I couldn't push. I just dry heaved and cried! I am sure if you are prepared, it would be a different story though!

Lisa Brown said...

More power to you!!!! Sometimes that thought crosses my mind and then I remember the pain (I guess more of just pressure) that I felt WITH an epidural. No thanks. I am excited for you though and can't wait to hear about the experience. I think you only have to have an IV with "natural birth" if you have the B step and need antibiotics...Oh, and I hear that standing in a warm shower helps :)

corine said...

oh i am so eccited that you decided to do this- you are goingt o be so proud of yourself when you are done- i love the fact that i went all natural- your body is made to do this. mom and i both went numb when we got to 8 cm. i have some books for you to read that will help you learn to not be afraid of the pain- your fear causes your body to tense up which causes more pain. warm water feels great- you should have your baby at a birthing center in the warm water. but i have way to much info for you to write on here:) read ina mays book "guide to childbirth" and the hypnobirthing book which i have. love ya

Melinda B. said...

My sister has a play ground at her house once a week full of natural birth, have babies at home, girls. A few of them are doulas. When you get to Utah I can bring you to a playgroup. They LOVE an audience and would be able to tell you everything and refer you to the valley's best midwives and resources. They are a plethora of granola crunchy momma information.

Janice said...

Good for you! I always take the epidural so I dont have any advice but I think it is great you are going to do it naturally! :)

courtneyb said...

thanks for your advice. So I guess it's safe to say, if you're planning on going natural and your prepared, it's a good experience. If your epidural doesn't work, it's hell.

Melinda-let's hang out with hippies when I get home. I've got an inner hippie that I've been holding in for too long :)

Anonymous said...

i had my kids in the 70's and 80's so i uguess i am a true hippie too.