I don't really need anymore reasons but thought I'd share. This was in the English newspaper here in Florence
Gates of Paradise
(issue no. 68/2007 / November 29, 2007)
Wal-mart finds tax refuge in Florence
With an office near the Duomo, American department store Wal- Mart is saving millions of dollars in taxes. Located on via dello Studio in Florence, the head office of Wmgs Services, a subsidiary of Wal Mart Property, controls millions of dollars of Wal-Mart property and stores in America.
According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, because Wmgs Services operates in another country, it is exempt from corporate tax in Illinois. According to Illinois state legislation, as long as 80 percent of a corporation’s business is conducted outside of the US, the company does not have to pay corporate taxes.
However, state officials from Illinois are contesting Wmgs’ tax liability. Alleging a tax-dodging ploy, the state demanded that a total of 26.4 million dollars in unpaid taxes and interest be paid to the state.
Wal-Mart officials did not put up much of a fight and paid in full, but not without first taking Illinois to court for a full refund. They would not, however, explain why they chose to open an office in Florence.
Friday favorites!
14 hours ago

2 comments:
Gosh, you move all the way to Italy, and Wal-Mart is still close by. Tender.
I hate Walmart, but I will never, ever stop shopping there. I'm just sayin' is all.
Post a Comment