Sunday, May 17, 2009

AF Woman of Steel triathlon


On Friday I went to the venue to pick up my packet and check out the transition are and drive the course. Oh boy, there was a big hill on the bike and run route and we had to do the bike route twice. So i was still nervous. This lasted until I got home at 9:30 pm, Friday evening and took my rental bike for a quick ride around the neighborhood. The bike training I did for the triathlon was all on a stationary bike and once I rode around on the rental, my bike riding days of Italy came pouring back. Oh yeah, I'm not scared to ride a bike fast.
I got there nice and early, got my body marked with my number and set up my little transition area. The distances were a 300 M swim, 12.4 mile bike and a 3 mile run. It started with a swim and I was a minority in my swim suit. Most already had their bike gear on. The swim went well except for the girl in front of me that should not have been in front of me. I was right on her feet and she wouldn't let me pass her. Finally at the wall on the last turn, I was able to pass her. The hill on the bike was beast but I was surprised by how I did. I impressed myself. The run was tough at first because I was ridding the bike so hard, my legs were jell-o for the first 1/4 mile (which included that beast hill). I actually tripped and fell during the run like the spaz that I am. I stepped up on the curb and when I stepped down, the legs were so tired from just riding the bike, I tripped and fell. SUCH a spaz!
My mother-in-law watched my kids for me over night which saved me the stress of taking care of them in the morning and to my surprise, the were right there at the finish line cheering for me as I finished up the run. I was very surprised to see them there and it gave me a little extra boost of energy. At the end of the race, they handed everyone a canvas bag with goodies , chocolate and a necklace. It's a silver heart with the engraving "love to tri". And the shirt was super cool although it doesn't fit me. It's spandex material, red and it's feminine. I ordered L because I thought it was just cotton and L is way too small.
I was worried about my endurance for the run, but I kept a good pace, finished strong and was still passing people in the final home stretch. I felt normal by 2pm but today my shoulders/neck area are sore from riding the bike.
Can't wait for the next one!!
My finishing time was 1:33:26 and if your interested in all my times, they are here

If your in the area and thinking of doing a triathlon next year, I highly recommend this one, it's such a difference to compete with all woman and they make it a little more special because it's all woman.



DO HARD THINGS! Your far more capable than you think you are

10 comments:

Jess said...

I clicked on the link, but it isn't showing your times. That is super frustrating about the slow swimmer girl in front of you!!! Great job!!! Too bad about the fall...it happens to the best of us!!!! I really want to do a tri too!

Tiffany Anderson said...

Congratulations!! That is so awesome. I knew you could do it. You inspire me to do bigger things.

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Yea! Congratulations and great job. I am so proud of you. I would love to do a triathlon...would you teach me how to be a good swimmer? I am really good at the doggy paddle.

Jenn Mobbs said...

AWESOME!! I am glad to hear that you are ready to do it again! Must have been easier than hypnobirthing:) You are amazing!

Katrina said...

Good Job, Courtney! You are one tough mama!

weller14 said...

u are amazing. good for u!

Holly said...

nice job courtney! you are such a tough chick, one of the reasons i love you!

Stacy said...

This is so awesome Court! I am very proud of you. My mom said you did great. I would love to do one of these with you, but I'm not sure I would make it. Great job!!!

Becky said...

Good job, Courtney! I'm really proud of you!

AllMyKs said...

Courtney you are awesome!! I'm very proud of you! Very inspiring. I need to run again. Triathalon, I don't think so. I'm too much of a whimp. I think I'll stick with 5Ks that's about all this 40 year old body can handle these days!